InnoCentive’s Chief Innovation Evangelist

June 29, 2009

I am thrilled to announce that as of July 1st, I will become the “Chief Innovation Evangelist” for InnoCentive.

If you are not aware, InnoCentive is an incredible company that is changing the world.  They are leaders in the Open Innovation space.  If you have a problem you want to solve, you can post the challenge on their website, and their network of 160,000 solvers will work to find a solution. Although it started off as a tool to accelerate R&D for a pharmaceutical company, it has expanded into solving all types of problems ranging from corporate challenges to social issues.

InnoCentive is incentive-based innovation.  The person who provides the solution gets a monetary reward that is established up front.  For example, if someone can find a biomarker for ALS, they will get $1 million.

There are some amazing success stories.  One well-publicized challenge was the removal of oil that remained trapped after the Exxon Valdez accident back in 1989.  A solver applied his knowledge of the cement industry to the challenge and won $20,000…and solved a problem that perplexed scientists for two decades.  Watch the video…

I’ll discuss more about my specific role over the coming weeks.  To give you a clue…my corporate title is “VP Strategic Consulting.”

I am thrilled to be part of an organization that is changing the world, one challenge at a time.

P.S. I will continue to write books and give speeches in addition to my InnoCentive work.

14 Responses to “InnoCentive’s Chief Innovation Evangelist”

1. Susanne on June 29th, 2009 9:23 am

Stephen- What a great fit for a true innovator! I continue to be inspired by you and look forward to hearing more!

2. Paul Hobcraft on June 29th, 2009 10:26 am

Well it seems a fitting role for one of the best evangelists around. Not so sure I like the title they/ you have settled upon.

Something like VP- open thinking or synergist would be better

Still you have always made ‘it’ happen.
    Cheers
    Paul

3. Business Genome on June 29th, 2009 1:11 pm

Great to hear that you are moving to InnoCentive! We recently attended the “Incentive 2 Innovate” conference in New York, where InnoCentive was one of the lead speakers at the conference. It’s clear that global collaboration is the wave of the future, replacing the older model of research and development. We’ll look forward to hearing more about your new role!

4. Dan Keldsen on June 29th, 2009 2:37 pm

Stephen – Congratulations on this new role, I know you’ve been involved in InnoCentive for quite some time, great to kick it up a notch!

InnoCentive and Open Innovation illustrate one of the keys of TRIZ which is nicely accessible to all – someone, somewhere, has solved this problem. Why not look out of the box (of an industry, profession, company, country, etc.)?

Cheers,
    Dan

5. Gareth on June 30th, 2009 1:51 am

Sounds great! I look forward to hearing more. When will you be evangelizing in Scandinavia???

Cheers

Gareth

6. Fran Goldstein on June 30th, 2009 8:16 am

On behalf of all your fans at NSA NE, CONGRATULATIONS Steve! We are truely happy and excited for you. Looking forward to learning more about your role and how we can support you. YOU GO! :)

7. Stefan Lindegaard on June 30th, 2009 2:21 pm

Stephen, congratulations on your new challenge. I look forward to hear more about this.

Stefan

8. Ken Cohn, M.D. on June 30th, 2009 10:12 pm

Congratulations on your new position; sounds like a great fit for your abundant talents

9. Adi on July 1st, 2009 10:46 am

Innocentive are a fantastic company. Congratulations on the appointment Stephen.

10. Cliff on July 3rd, 2009 8:35 am

excellent! I’ve always admired innocentive. it’s one of the inspirations for my website.

11. Stephen Shapiro on July 6th, 2009 3:56 pm

Thank you again everyone for the kind words. Yes, InnoCentive is a special company. The people here are amazingly kind, collaborative, and talented. And the work they are doing is fascinating and valuable to both companies and the world at large.

12. David Newman Marketing Speaker on July 7th, 2009 11:02 am

Steve,

Oh mannnnn… I WANT TO BE YOU!! How cool is that to find a company that is, essentially, your professional soul mate.

A calm harbor, a bully pulpit, cool friends to collaborate and walk through walls with (and for), plus doing work you love and (I’m guessing here) earning what makes you happy.

Did I already say I WANT TO BE YOU?!?

Congrats on what sounds like a perfect match.

– David

13. It’s Official! | Business Innovation Speaker and Consultant Stephen Shapiro on July 15th, 2009 10:58 am

[...] weeks ago, I jumped the gun a bit when I announced my new role with InnoCentive.  Now it is official.  Amongst other things, the press release issued today [...]

14. Must Read Post on Innovation from Blogging Innovation: Steve Shapiro of Innocentive on Three Distinctions of Innovation – IP Asset Maximizer Blog on December 29th, 2009 11:33 am

[...] blog.)  The post, entitled “Part 1:  Three Innovation Distinctions” is by Steve Shapiro of Innocentive, distills what innovation is down to words which are placed in counterbalance with the standard [...]