Creative Military Ideas

July 16, 2006

A while back I read a document which was released by the US military under the Freedom of Information act. Regardless what you may think of the Department of Defense, this confidential document contains some interesting ideas . During a brainstorming session back in 1994, the Air Force requested $7.5 million to fund non-lethal chemical weapons research. Some of the most creative ideas were:

• Using chemicals that could be sprayed on enemy positions to attract stinging and biting bugs, rodents and larger animals.
  • Another idea involved creating severe and lasting halitosis to help sniff out fighters trying to blend in with civilians.
  • The most creative idea, and one immediately rejected, was the creation of a strong aphrodisiac – especially one that would cause homosexual behavior. The idea was to affect human behavior in a way that would adversely impact discipline and morale within the enemy units.

Creative ideas that aren’t implemented do not add value. My hunch is, these added little value in the long run. Do you have any other examples of wildly creative ideas?

17 Responses to “Creative Military Ideas”

1. ed bernacki on July 19th, 2006 11:12 am

It does not surprise me that the military is involved with creativity work. I have worked with a range of teams with Department of Defense in Canada as well as writing a guide on innovative thinking for Ministry of Defense in Singapore. I get the impression that the military people I met were often far more open to the idea of creativity and did not have the ego issues of many people in business (who think they are creative and have nothing to learn).
    Perhaps it is useful to remember the final sentences of Alex Osborn’s 1953 book Applied Imagination:
    We need new ideas to win wars. We need even more and better new ideas to win peace.
    Perhaps a useful lesson for the world we face at the moment. It is interesting to note that the used version of the book I purchased on line started its life at the training library of the Veterans Administration in Roanoke Virginia. How appropriate!

2. david banner on June 12th, 2009 1:52 pm

My idea is for defense against bombs. Bombs, being generally made out of metal, can be attracted by a magnet. Create a flying pod with an electro-magnetic bottom and equipment on it that can see the missile in the air (maybe a sonar radar or something). Also put a rocket jet on the back to steer it off course (if you did not already blow it up in the air).

3. david banner on June 12th, 2009 2:37 pm

i have an idea, however, i do not know what materials would be necessary, for another defense against bombs. This one is for explosions in general. Find an object, element or process that absorbs explosions

4. Ben Chan on June 26th, 2009 2:27 pm

Yeah, I’ve got an idea- why not using a ballistic knife as a bayonet.

5. Ben Chan on June 26th, 2009 2:30 pm

It would be something to work if you ran out of ammo, a ballistic knife was used by the spetsnaz in WW2-it’s a knife that can stay to the head or press a button and the blade flies out. It would catch them by surprise, and of course a bayonet is just a knife on the end of a gun.

6. joseph miller on July 31st, 2009 8:38 pm

i got this idea for laser targeting (if it hasn’t been used yet).instead of the diode on top of the gun,have multiple laser diodes circulating the end of the barrel itself,then aim,shoot in the center of the circle for 100% accuracy.

7. andy on September 12th, 2009 8:20 pm

i have a idea that is work able and i have the plans for it. its invisibility suite

8. Matt B on September 18th, 2009 5:27 pm

Why couldn’t the military use a radio controlled set-up on the lead HumV while traveling. It’s become fairly inexpensive and readily available. They are frequently used in Hollywood…..why not in a hostile environment? If I had the choice, I would much rather be in the 2nd HumV in line controlling the lead vehicle. Rather than be on a truck with a reinforced floor in it. I understand that some may think this is a dumb idea, but I think more ideas need to be considered. Too many Americans are loosing their lives!

9. kevin gray on February 16th, 2010 4:16 pm

Matt B that is a good idea in theory I did a year of route clearance in afghan and got the pleasure of being blown up multiple times. but i would give it about a month before the tally figured out that the front vic was unmaned then they would just hit the ones behind it. Plus they dont always hit the lead vic because of command wires and other devices. Good idea tho keep it up

10. Blake t on April 18th, 2010 10:07 pm

I actually have a good Idea on how to make vehichles “disapear” but I don’t know who to talk to could somebody give me a number or a sponsor for the idea I would buy the materials but I’m only in highschool so I have no money could anyone help

11. Sean on June 13th, 2010 5:55 pm

I’m preparing to create a business dealing with the design and engineering of innovative new weapons and designs for the military. This is somewhat expanding mytrain of thought, thank you.

12. Komet on July 26th, 2010 9:12 am

Here is my idea to stop TERROR: Look out for poor people on the country side and get them work and money. Get an approval from the Govt. Publish all the members who has an account in Swiss bank. All the black money will be out. Donate that money to the poor people. Stop criticizing other people(black white rich poor) There will be no more terror. Let everyone live in peace and harmony. Not in FEAR!!!

13. shane parks on December 22nd, 2010 12:01 pm

how bout we use a roller that sticks out about a seventy feet and will blow up any IEDs that may be in the wayy of our soldiers. or even a remote control car or something.

14. Nathaniel Perez on January 19th, 2011 5:14 pm

A suit of flexible armor capable of resisting terminal ballistics trauma and the pressure of a close range IED explosion while using the same basic components of a hazmat apparatus to give a soldier protection from both small arms fire and toxic materials. And a multipurpose gauntlet and tactically integrated mask made of titanium alloy and composite polymer materials. The mask gives the warfighter a HUD capable of giving the soldier a aiding reticle for added accuracy, and a video feed from and any aiding forces. And a combat gauntlet with a armor plated plasma fuel cell for aid with blockaded positions such as fences or barbed wire.

15. Nathaniel Perez on January 20th, 2011 11:27 am

My father did 2 tours back in 89′ with US Delta Force operators. He has had 3 encounters with close RPG rockets. And he gave me an idea of a high powered magnet placed under an HMMWV’s gun that will cause a explosive projectile’s ignition pin to cause early explosion, and injure the enemy firing.

16. Grant Gutierrez on April 3rd, 2011 1:17 pm

A functioning laser augmentation would be easy to install on a twelve gauge shotgun. Basically, a modified magazine holds batteries. Instead of a hammer, there is a very thick wire modified to drain a battery in a matter of seconds. A laser pointer amped up would fire all of the energy in a matter of seconds, then a bolt would remove the dead batteries. A laser can fire at the speed of light, have no recoil, have no sound, and have infinite range and accuracy.

17. Christopher Abel on February 16th, 2014 10:44 pm

How about a smaller and faster bomber. Starting off, it goes underwater like a sub.
    When getting closer to the area, fly out of the water, drop the bombs.
    Then go back underwater. Like the flying fish.